1. If you were wrong, admit that you were wrong.
2. Say something along the lines of “I’m sorry. I regret what I said/did.”
3. After you apologize, STOP TALKING. I cannot stress this enough.
4. For example, if you happen to be a person of the cloth and are blessing businesspeople, and as part of that benediction you work in something about being blessed so much that you would make a Jew jealous, don’t mention, as part of your apology that you meant it as a compliment to the Jews.
5. As an extra bonus, don’t say that you will avoid making such remarks “with God’s help.” Because not spouting offensive shit shouldn’t take Divine Intervention.
One year ago ...